Ingredients (8 servings)
- ⅔ cup fat-free milk
- ½ cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed (see Tip)
- 2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ pounds 90% or higher lean ground beef
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with foil; set aside. In a large bowl, combine milk and egg. Stir in bread crumbs, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add ground beef; mix well. Shape meat mixture into an 8×5-inch rectangle in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes. Spoon off fat. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, and garlic. Spread over top of meat loaf. Bake about 10 minutes more or until meat is done (160°F).
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Spoon off any fat. Cut into slices.
- Tip: You can substitute 3 egg whites for the ½ cup egg product.
- Nutrition information
- Per serving: 197 calories; 9 g fat(4 g sat); 1 g fiber; 8 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 13 mcg folate; 56 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 339 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 57 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 308 mg sodium; 405 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: ½
- Exchanges: ½ starch, 2½ lean meat, 1 fat